Sunday, September 17, 2017

I'd Rather Stay in My Bubble

This past Wednesday I was explaining the plan for our Listening tour to a member of my book group.  She listened with interest, and shared an opinion that I should keep my expectations for common ground very low.  Then she concluded by commenting, "I hope you have an interesting tour.  But I'd never want to do it.  I want to stay right here in my bubble."


It was the first time I'd heard someone say this sentiment so forthrightly.  I've become used to the comments: "Wow, what a great idea."  "Wow, how do you have time to do that?"  "Wow, that is an interesting idea."  "Oh, I know someone (usually a spouse) who would love to join you."  "Hmmm, interesting."

But this woman expressed what I believe most of us feel most of the time.  We are comfortable in our nests of friends, family, neighborhood, church, workplace, social networks, obligations.  And even when we notice or suspect that our "bubble" may be an echo chamber, we still accept it."  This is a lot about the inertia of our lives.  And it is a lot about human nature:  we seek out the comfort and ease -- the opinions, values, socioeconomic and cultural communities, even climate -- of what we have grown used to.

-- Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment